Manset Scores Tying Goal and Winning Goal in 2-1 Overtime Win at UT Dallas

Emmy Manset (Sr., F, Ventura, CA/Foothill Technology HS)
Emmy Manset (Sr., F, Ventura, CA/Foothill Technology HS)

By Robert McKinney, Assistant Athletics Director, Communications

RICHARDSON, Texas -- Emmy Manset (Sr., F, Ventura, CA/Foothill Technology HS) scored the tying goal with 5:06 left in regulation and put in the winning goal 4:45 into overtime, as Willamette University rallied for a 2-1 victory over the University of Texas at Dallas, in a non-conference women's soccer game on Saturday, Sept. 10. Both teams entered the game with undefeated records. The Bearcats improved to 3-0-1 on the season, while the Comets fell to 3-1-0.

Manset recorded the tying goal after intercepting a pass about 30 yards from the Comets' goal. She moved forward, beat a defender, and shot to the far post at 84:54. Jacquie Kaufman of UT Dallas nearly won the game just before the end of regulation when her shot hit the post with eight seconds left.

Willamette earned the only two shots in overtime. Marley Duncan (Sr., F, Pukalani, HI/Kamehameha School) shot at 91:53, but her attempt was blocked by a defender. After Duncan's shot, and before the game-winner, the Bearcats claimed corner kicks at 92:27 and 92:49, but neither restart led to a shot.

Manset scored the game-winning goal about two minutes later ar 94:45 following a pass by Isabel Duxbury (Fr., D, Seattle, WA/University Prep) on a free kick. After receiving the pass, Manset kept her shot on the ground, sending it into the net.

The first half was scoreless, as each team registered three shots, including one shot on goal. Jenae Arnold (So., M, Poulsbo, WA/North Kitsap HS) had the first shot of the game for Willamette, forcing UTD goalkeeper Monica Dallacasa to make a save at 10:48. Melissa Fulfer was credited with the Comets' second shot -- their first shot on goal -- at 24:19. WU goalie Kristen Barclay (So., GK, Kenmore, WA/Cedar Park Christian School) provided the Bearcats with a save on the play.

Willamette outshot UT Dallas in the second half, 10-8, while the Comets gained a 5-3 edge in shots on goal over the second 45 minutes.

Maya Fuller of UTD scored the game's first goal at 63:04. Fulfer started the play with a through pass to Kaufman, who crossed the ball from the right side to Fuller.

The Bearcats created five shots over the next 13 minutes, but the UT Dallas maintained its lead. Manset shot wide at 66:37 and had shots two shots blocked in three seconds, starting at 67:49. A shot by Kelsey Walker (Sr., M, Westerville, OH/Westerville North HS) was saved by Dallacasa at 68:10. Lacey Jones (Fr., F, Portland, OR/David Douglas HS) took a shot that was blocked at 75:53.

Over the same time period, UT Dallas recorded two shots. A third shot was achieved by Nique Enloe, whose header at 83:33 was saved by Barclay.

WU ended the game with a 15-11 shooting margin, although UTD claimed a 6-5 lead in shots on goal. Barclay registered five saves, while Dallacasa produced three saves. Willamette attained a 5-3 advantage in corner kicks.

The Bearcats will return to action on Saturday, Sept. 16 when they are scheduled to take on Whitworth University in Spokane, Washington. It will be the NWC opener for both teams with kickoff slated for 12 p.m. (PDT).