Willamette Edges Whitworth 2-1 on Header by Manset in Overtime

Emmy Manset (Jr., F, Ventura, CA/Foothill Technology HS)
Emmy Manset (Jr., F, Ventura, CA/Foothill Technology HS)

By Robert McKinney, Assistant Athletics Director, Communications

SALEM, Ore. -- Emmy Manset (Jr., F, Ventura, CA/Foothill Technology HS) of Willamette University scored with 3:00 left in the first overtime to give the Bearcats a 2-1 victory over Whitworth University in a Northwest Conference women's soccer game on Sunday, Oct. 23 at Sparks Field. Manset has scored in a three consecutive games, and all three goals have been game-winners. She has earned four goals on the season.

With the win, the Bearcats upped their overall record to 8-6-2, including 5-5-2 (17 points) in the NWC. Whitworth dropped to 7-9-0 on the season, 6-6-0 (18 points) in the NWC.

Manset scored the winning goal on a header from eight yards out after narrowly beating Whitworth goalie Jenna Rogers to the ball. As Manset and Rogers collided, the ball looped toward the goal and then bounced over the goal line.

The goal was set up on a long pass by Karmen Chavez-Sam (So., D, Eastvale, CA/Eleanor Roosevelt HS) from 45 yards out. The ball went over the defense and bounced once before Manset and Rogers rushed to gain possession.

It was Willamette's second win in as many days. On Saturday, the Bearcats defeated Whitman College, 2-1. Whitworth had not played since Tuesday, when the Pirates downed Whitman 1-0 in overtime.

On Sunday, the Bearcats and the Pirates played a scoreless first half. Willamette outshot Whitworth 9-4 during the half, including 4-2 in shots on goal.

Sienna Tanner, who played the first 45 minutes in goal for the Pirates, earned three saves. One shot by Willamette was kept out of the net by a defender. Willamette goalie Kristen Barclay (Fr., GK, Kenmore, WA/Cedar Park Christian School) recorded two saves in the first half.

Willamette scored the game's first goal at 53:06 on a 22-yard free kick taken by Shanna Keil (Fr., M, Danville, CA/San Ramon Valley HS). Keil curled the ball into the upper left corner of the goal.

The Pirates tied the game at 1-1 on a goal by Arielle Van Peursem, assisted by Dallas Nelson, at 64:59. Peursem shot from 23 yards out near the center of the field. Her shot went into the top of the net.

A series of shots by the Bearcats nearly put Willamette in front late in regulation. Liz Stewart (So., D/F, Sisters, OR/Sisters HS/Texas Christian University) took a shot at 80:12 that was stopped by a defender. Stewart also put a shot on target at 83:59 that was saved by Rogers.

Keil took a corner kick at 85:26 to set up two shots by Willamette in a scramble near the goal. First, a shot by Jenae Arnold (Fr., M, Poulsbo, WA/North Kitsap HS) hit the post, and then a shot by Manset was deflected wide by Rogers.

Willamette had two more shots in regulation --  by Stewart at 86:09 and Arnold at 86:30. Stewart's attempt went wide left and Arnold's shot was blocked. Leah Corra of Whitworth earned a header at 88:48, but sent the ball wide left.

The Bearcats tacked on four shots in overtime, while holding the Pirates without a shot. Stewart took two of the shots, including a header that was saved by Rogers at 95:52 following a corner kick. Manset had the other two shots in overtime, including the game-winning header.

Willamette finished the afternoon with a 27-9 advantage in total shots and a 12-5 margin in shots on goal. The Bearcats also claimed a 10-4 edge in corner kicks. Stewart led all players with eight shots (six on goal). Manset added five shots, including two on target.

Rogers was credited with four saves while playing the final 52 minutes. Barclay registered three saves and played all 97 minutes.

The Bearcats will play again on Saturday, Oct. 29 at University of Puget Sound. Game time in Tacoma, Washington, is scheduled for 12 p.m. (PDT).