Ortiz and Shiomi Score for Bearcats in 2-1 Win over Corban in Exhibition Game

Yushiro Shiomi (So., D, Kyoto, Japan/TIUA) scores Willamette's second goal
Yushiro Shiomi (So., D, Kyoto, Japan/TIUA) scores Willamette's second goal

By Robert McKinney, Assistant Athletics Director, Communications

SALEM, Ore. -- Edwin Ortiz (Fy, M, Salem, OR/North Salem HS) scored a goal in the first half and Yushiro Shiomi (So., D, Kyoto, Japan/TIUA) added a goal in the second half, as Willamette University built a 2-0 lead on its way to a 2-1 win over Corban University in an exhibition game for both teams on Saturday, Aug. 24 at Sparks Field. Corban tallied its only goal at 73:49 on a penalty kick by Nate Sherwood.

The crosstown rivals will meet again at Sparks Field on Saturday, Sept. 6 at 7 p.m. (PDT). The game was originally scheduled for the afternoon of Friday, Aug. 30, but has been moved to the first full weekend in September.

Ortiz opened the scoring at 26:24 on a shot from midway into the right side of the penalty area. He sent the ball into the lower right corner of the goal to give the Bearcats a 1-0 lead. Jack Moothart (Jr., M, West Linn/West Linn HS) began the play with a cross from about 18 yards out on the left side.

Willamette remained in front 1-0 at halftime. Corban held a 5-3 edge in total shots at the break, but both teams had two shots on goal.

The Bearcats increased their advantage to 2-0 at the 62:29 mark on the goal by Shiomi. The play began with Shiomi in possession of the ball in the midfield. He passed it out wide left to Nic Carley Navarro (Fy., D, Portland, OR/Cleveland HS). As Navarro moved near the sideline, Shiomi kept running toward the goal. After moving inside a bit, Navarro crossed the ball to Shiomi, who shot from six yards out and scored into the lower right corner.

About 11 minutes later, Sherwood was moving forward inside the Willamette penalty area when he was fouled by Shiomi. A penalty kick was called and Sherwood converted the penalty for the Warriors. Sherwood's shot went into the top third of the net just to the right of center.

Corban held much of the possession over the final 15 minutes, but created only one shot, an effort by Christian Silva at 83:03 that was high. Nicholas Ballenger (Sr., F, Salem, OR/West Salem HS/Oregon State Univ.) took a shot for Willamette that went wide left at 88:15. Carter McCleary (Jr., F, Port Hadlock, WA/Chimacum HS) nearly clinched the win with a shot at 88:43, but Corban goalie Nic Farr registered a save on the play. The Warriors received a free kick at the edge of their attacking third of the field after WU committed a foul at 89:40, but Corban was unable to earn a shot.

For the game, Corban outshot the Bearcats, 11-7, as each team registered five shots on target. Farr, who played the second half in goal for the Warriors, earned two saves. Justin Keegan of Corban, who competed in goal during the first half, was credited with one save. Mason Kelliher (Sr., GK, Wellington, N.Z./Wellington College) of WU achieved four saves while playing all 90 minutes in goal. Corban ended the game with 57% possession, but Willamette still created quality chances, especially from the first goal (27th minute) until the second goal (63rd minute).

The Bearcats will take on the Willamette Allumni on Sunday, Aug. 25 in the Alumni Game. Kickoff is set for 12 p.m. (PDT) at Sparks Field.